Is your man marriage material? We don’t have the answer to that question, but there are probably signs in your relationship that can help you decide. Considering marriage is a life-changing decision, you want to make sure he’s the right one before the big day arrives. So, before you start looking for a wedding dress, bridesmaid dresses, or a ring, consider the following points to help you make up your mind. Will it be I Do? Or are there enough reasons to make you say I Don’t!
Signs to suggest he probably is the one for you include:
- He loves you for who you are, warts and all. He’s aware of your habits, your idiosyncrasies, and has knowledge of some of your deep, dark secrets. If he loves you regardless of any of these things, you know he is probably a keeper.
- Not only is he kind to you, but he is kind to everybody around him as well. Knowing that he has a good heart is a positive sign, and this bodes well for the future of your relationship, especially during those tough times that every couple face.
- At the end of a good or a bad day, he is there for you. You can tell him anything, and he will listen with an open heart. If you feel like a good cry, he is your sanctuary. If you feel like offloading your day’s woes, he listens to you. If you have an issue, he will try and help you sort it out. He cares for your needs, and that’s probably because he loves you.
- Not every couple has to have similar interests; it’s sometimes healthy if you have differences. However, if you share similar thoughts on the things that matter, such as sex, family, life choices, etc. then you may well be the perfect fit.
- You are his number one. Despite the football on the tv, he would rather spend time with you. Despite his best mates wanting to drag him to the pub, he still wants to spend time with you. While you should let him do his own thing occasionally, you know he cares when you take priority above all other things.
Hold off on your marriage plans if any of the following are true.
- You spot signs of cheating, whether it’s keeping his phone hidden from your view, or the way he keeps certain things about his life a secret. There may be other reasons for his behaviour, but if you are constantly on edge worrying about whether he is a cheat, you need to have an honest conversation with him to get to the bottom of things.
- While you don’t always have to be the priority in his life, if he spends more time away from you than is normal, you should start to worry. He may be spending more time with his friends, for example, or he may be ‘too busy’ doing other things, rather than spending time with you. You deserve his companionship some of the time, and while you shouldn’t be a clingy girlfriend, you shouldn’t be a neglected one, either.
- There is no respect in the relationship. If he hurts you in any way or doesn’t let you be the person you are, then you need to think again. A relationship is about mutual respect, and if he doesn’t show you any proper care, then marriage should be the last thing on anybody’s mind.
We don’t want to break up your relationship or convince you that you are with ‘the one.’ However, you don’t want to make a mistake in your life, either, so think through what we said in this article. When it comes to relationships, our perspective can become a little skewed through emotion, so it is always worth getting a little perspective to make the right decisions in our lives.