Now this has to the best ever trend to come around! I do like getting dressed up and going out, however I much prefer throwing on my ‘gym clothes’ and being comfortable. Leaving the house in leggings, T shirt, trainers (and most of the time even a sports bra) is my ultimate favourite outfit. Leaving the house in ‘chill clothes’ and not taking ages to get ready is just exactly what I like.
Okay, okay—maybe we’re getting carried away. It’s not like we can crawl out of bed, throw on our trackies and expect to look like Kate Moss. While the basics of this look are comfort classics, you’ll need to style it right to create a perfectly polished look. Here, we explain the basics of athleisure to take your look from slob to sass.
First things first, if you’re going to create a sports-luxe look, you’ll need a selection of athleisure essentials in your wardrobe. Make sure you’ve got:
- A bomber jacket — HUGE in 2016 and set to be even bigger this year, the loose-fitting, bulky shape of a bomber is a must for creating this look. For a feminine look, choose fresh pastel shades. This is literally the only style of jacket I seem to own at the moment, just a rainbow of different colours.
- Leggings or joggers — we’re not talking your old gymwear here — invest in a pair of branded leggings or jogging bottoms that are tapered and cuffed for a close fit. Most of mine tend to be Adidas or Nike which I like as they are comfortable and have a good amount of thickness, (no-one wants see through trouser situations).
- Sports tops — cropped tops and hoodies are perfect when paired with leggings or jogging bottoms and bomber jacket. If you’re not quite ready to show off your tum (i’m definitely not), then you can opt for a loose-fitting sports jersey with mesh detailing.
- Trainers — forget heels, this trend all about a great pair of trainers. Ash trainers are the perfect choice, with a selection of sports-inspired styles to help you effortlessly conquer this look.
The great thing about athleisure is its versatility — play around with the essentials to find a look that works well for you. Keep our golden rules in mind:
- Accessorise, accessorise, accessorise! — sportswear is generally quite plain, so make your outfit pop with jewellery — think 90s throwback gold hoops and choker and delicate gold necklaces.
- Wear a coat — one of the easiest ways to take your look from gym to street is to wear a coat. Whether it’s a loose-fitting, vintage-inspired denim or bomber jacket or a longer, open duster coat, they’ll add to your look on cooler days.
- Cover your bum — if the thought of wearing leggings fill you with dread, tie a checked or denim shirt around your waist. Acting as a cool, bottom-covering skirt, it will tie in with your look without cramping your style.
- Keep your workout clothes separate — if you are going to the gym, keep your workout wear separate to your athleisure wear so as to not to cross-contaminate fashion with fitness.
What’s your athleisure go to pieces? X